Thursday, May 26, 2011

Here Lately

Life is a swirling, whirling dervish as of late.  Things are changing, growing and shifting and there are so many more changes on the horizon.  While all of these changes are very positive, it does seem like the seconds on the clock are ticking off way too quickly to be fully present.  I haven't been getting the camera out much and now here we are and Cora is two months away from her second...that's right SECOND birthday.  Does that officially mean she won't be a baby anymore or has that already happened and I refuse to see it?

Rob changed jobs a few weeks ago after a tenure of over seven years with the same company.  This new opportunity has offered him the chance to transition back into the passion that led the two of us together - cycling.  He has been working so hard with very little time off for the last few weeks and I am so proud of him.  We'll get through this little adjustment period just fine and then I'm sure things will settle down.

And speaking of major life changes, this baby girl is growing so quickly she'll be here before we know it.



 So here are snippets that I have managed to capture with the camera in the last few weeks.
Mother's Day Walk

It was absolutely so hot and humid this day.  We did see tons of butterflies, birds and even a snake on our walk. 

Who needs a bathtub when you have a big silver bucket???  Just kidding, we don't really bathe Cora in this although she'd probably be all for it. 

The garden is really taking off.  I've been plucking lettuce out of this box since March and it doesn't look like it is going to slow down anytime soon.  I'm hoping to be able to shade this little section in the hot, hot weeks so it will keep producing.  Nothing like just walking outside when you want some crisp romaine for a sandwich. 


Precious little baby squash!  My plants are littered with them and I can't wait to make some squash casserole.  I really can't believe I just typed that last sentence, that stuff used to make me gag when I was younger.  Cora plucked one of these little dudes off the vine the other day.  She was so excited about it that I really couldn't get mad.  I'll just keep directing her back to the lettuce. 

This little jewel of a blossom will soon be a japanese eggplant.  The growth alone in the last few days is impressive.  This will roast up nicely for some asian eggplant dip.  

These two are thick as thieves these days.  The following pics were taken on different days (hmmmm...one day no pants, the next day no shirt....she is getting into the naked phase and especially loves taking her diaper off).  This dog will melt your heart one second and have you seething with anger the next.   Too bad the book "Marley and Me" has already been written because "Yeti and Me" could have rivaled it.  A few weekends ago I made some sourdough garlic and parmesan croutons to top off a salad with lettuce grown from the garden.  It was going to be an epic, beautiful salad that I was carrying to a potluck down the street.  I turned my head for a nano second and the dog had the bag off the counter, on the floor and consumed.  Ugh!


For the last few years my mother-in-law has graciously loaned me her 1970's Singer.  I treated myself to a new Singer machine the other day and have since been sewing up a storm.  Below is Cora's big girl bed quilt I am working on (there will be a baby quilt to match).  It isn't even finished and she loves it!  She likes to dance on all the squares and roll around on it.  Of course I dream of her taking this to college with her one day but there is no telling what will be cool by then.  

Last Sunday we celebrated our seventh anniversary with a wonderful date night.  The evening started out a little shaky with our waiter breaking my water glass right in front of me (we were romantically sitting on the same side of the booth so we both got pretty wet).  We both joked that we hope that wasn't some sort of sign of the year to come.  Number seven is lucky though, right?  I certainly feel lucky to have such a wonderful husband that is an awesome partner and dad.  

FINALLY!  A triumphant carrot!  Not sure how many we'll get but they sure are tasty.  Oh, and see those bamboo poles in the background?  Those started out as 30 foot pieces of bamboo on the side of the road.  How we acquired them and got them home is a whole different blog post.  This year we're going to try training the tomatoes up a string.  

See?  I told you she was into taking her clothes off these days.  



















3 comments:

  1. Your mom-in-law luvs your writings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love this post! Your garden and YOU look amazing! The garden is our next project. I've dreamed of having one since I was a little girl. Nick finally decided we would venture into gardening when I showed him exactly how much we are spending on vegetables every week at the store. Allison doesn't eat much, but she loves fruits and vegetables (so do I). Congrats on everything coming up for ya'll. Looks exciting. I might be emailing you for tips on the garden. PS What kind of dog is Yetti? Adorable. We could have a "Margo and Me" book too. Honestly, my favorite moments of the day are watching Allison and Margo play. They are truly best friends. Poor Margo has no idea another one is coming her way! :) Anyway, happy Memorial Day! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly, thanks for the compliments on the garden. Last night we plucked out about 15 carrots and steamed them up for dinner. You and Nick will love having one. I really want to expand mine in the future, it is pretty small right now but I still get a lot out of it. Yeti is a labradoodle and he is HUGE! I think he is somehow bigger than average, hence the name Yeti.

    ReplyDelete